Poppyseed Bundt Cake

I haven't made this in years, but I have a photocopy of the recipe that I keep losing track of, so I'm putting it here. It is tasty and moist and makes me wish I had a bundt pan around. It's from The Pleasures of Your Food Processor by Norene Gilletz. You could probably make it with a mixer instead (mixers are better than food processors for making cake anyhow). I could probably make it with a mixer instead, too. Hmm, I should get a bundt pan. 1/2 c. poppyseeds 1 c. buttermilk or sour milk (I've used 1 c. soy milk + 1 TBS vinegar or lemon juice) 1 c. butter or margarine, cut in chunks (I've only used margarine because I've always made it dairy-free in the past) 1.5 c. sugar 4 eggs 2 tsp vanilla extract (or ALMOND) 2.5 c. flour 2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda Soak poppyseeds in milk for at least 1/2 an hour. Using the food processor's steel knife, process butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla for 2 minutes. Remove cover and add poppyseed/milk mixture to batter. Process for 3-4 seconds to blend. Add dry ingredients and process with 5-6 on/off turns. Mix through with a rubber spatula if batter is not completely blended. Pour into a greased and floured 12-cup Bundt pan (Bakers Joy flour spray is awesome for this). Bake @ 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes, until cake tests done. Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan. NOTE 1 - baked this in an oven at almost exactly 325 (thanks to my oven thermometer--a new thing for me) and it seemed done-but-moist at 45 minutes--toothpick was clean.) It was fine, and probably wouldn't have seemed unpleasantly underdone if I'd pulled it out at 40 or 42 minutes. NOTE 2 - tried making a vegan version of this - soy milk, margarine, and aquafaba substituted for the eggs (3 tbs to an egg) and it came out pretty well. I did that version of it in a kitchenaid mixer because that's what I had access to.

No comments: