Beets

This is not a recipes I've used, it is a challenge to myself.
I'm scared of beets. (Also brussels sprouts, but that's a different animal.)
I asked some folks for suggestions, and here's what I got. Someday, I will try these things:

-raw beets shredded into a salad
-"shred beets, then saute in olive oil with garlic and onion. Add mustard, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper at the end. Delicious! Brussels sprouts are good sliced thin and roasted on a tray or sauteed with a little nutmeg and lemon juice. They get a nice flavor when they caramelize."
-"boil them, and separately boil potatoes and carrots, chop everything up with a pickle and some scallions, and dress with vinegar, oil, black pepper, salt, and sugar. This is called "surprise salad" since you don't know what you're getting in every bite- everything is colored by the beets."

No comments: