Whole Wheat Belgian Waffles

This recipe came out pretty well. I used about half a cup of batter for each /side/ of the waffle iron, and it yielded 6 waffles (with a little extra batter.)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/whole-wheat-waffles-recipe



  • 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (from Trader Joe's)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder (**the next time I cut this down to 1.5 tsp so they'd be a tad less airy. I think I prefer that.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk (I warmed it in the microwave for 30 seconds in a glass cup - would have done it longer, the butter still re-solidified a little)
  • 1/3 cup melted butter  (I used salted and omitted added salt)

  • Preheat your iron while you make the waffle batter.

    Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
    In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and butte
    Mix together the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. (I used a spatula)The batter will be a bit lumpy; that's OK.
    Cook the waffles as directed 

    I used not-the-hottest setting. (4/5?) I think something more like 3.5/5 would have been better - the first few were a tad overdone.

    I ate them topped with sour cream (sweetened with some sugar) and frozen strawberries, defrosted.  

    No comments: