Farinata

This looks amazing:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235473/how-to-make-farinata/

As soon as I get some garbanzo flour, I'm gonna try it.

  • 1 1/2 cups garbanzo flour
  • 2 cups lukewarm water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (optional)
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Combine garbanzo flour and water in a bowl; whisk until batter is smooth. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a plate and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Skim as much foam as possible from top of batter. Whisk salt, rosemary, and 3 tablespoons olive oil into batter.
  2. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
  3. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat and heat until smoking hot. Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet and swirl to coat bottom of skillet with oil. Continue to heat until oil shimmers and a wisp of smoke rises from oil.
  4. Quickly pour batter into hot oil; carefully transfer skillet to preheated oven.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven until cake is browned and crusty, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer immediately to a plate, cut into wedges, and serve hot. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper.
Post-mortem: finally made this! It was too salty--I used a scant 1.5 tsp of the sea salt (seemed to be large-flake) we had. I'd do 3/4 tsp next time. Also - it was easy to let the batter splash up the sides of the pan,which then burned a bit, so I will avoid that next time. Overall I was surprised that it didn't stick to the pan more, or damage/burn onto my old, not super clean cast-iron skillet. I was tempted to take it out early but I'm glad I left it in for a full 27ish minutes. 

No comments: