Dutch Babies II

I made a dutch baby pancake using (basically) the NYTimes recipe this morning:

  • 3 eggs
  • ½ cup flour
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • splash vanilla extract
  • dash of cinnamon 
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  •  1 apple, unpeeled
Preheat oven to 425, mix ingredients (except butter and apples) in bowl. I blended them with an immersion blender til a bit beyond "solidly blended." Slice apples about 1/4" thick. Butter went into my old 10" cast iron, into the oven *once the oven was almost to temperature*. As soon as the butter was melted, pulled the skillet out of the oven, fanned out the apple slices in the pan on top of the butter, poured the batter on top, and stuck it back in the oven for ~20 minutes, then lowered to 300 and kept it in for only 3 more minutes because it was starting to burn.

Verdict: good recipe, overall, and came out of my cast iron skillet easily enough even though the skillet needs to be re-seasoned quite badly. But the apples didn't really cook enough. Some recipes for dutch babies with apples suggest you cook the apples a bit first but I figured I'd try it without doing that because less work is nice if the finished product doesn't suffer. But I bet this would have been better with more thoroughly cooked apples. Such is life.

No comments: